Thursday, June 3, 2010

Blog Post 1

Did You Know? By: Karl Fisch


Did You Know? By: Karl Fisch was very interesting. It really opened my eyes to what is going on around the world. Technology is everywhere and according to this presentation it is not going to diminish anytime soon. My attention was caught immediately when it showed the ever ascending population of the world. I was hooked until the very end when it said that in just 5 minutes there were 395 babies born in India.
It amazes me that text messages sent everyday exceeds the number of people populating the world. Another astonishing fact in this video is that by 2049, we might have a computer that exceeds the computational capabilities of the entire human species. It seems to me that later on in life we might actually have flying cars and people living on the moon. Technology, as this shows, is growing rapidly everyday. I think we all need to stay on top of our game when it comes to technology and its advances so we don't get overrun by some computer.



Mr. Winkle Wakes By: Mathew Needleman


Mr. Winkle Wakes By: Mathew Needleman shows how much technology has grown over the years. When I watch this video, it makes me think to put myself in Mr. Winkle's shoes. Imagine if you were put in a time machine and sent to the year 2040. I would think technology would be drastically different in 30 years. You would most likely travel around, trying to blend in, but it wouldn't be all that easy with nothing familiar around.
It also brought my attention to the lack of technology in a classroom. If we have all this technology circling the workplace and others facilities, then why do we not teach the use of them in a classroom? It seems to be a little backward. I think we should teach kids how to use the different kinds of technology so when they get out in the real world, they will not be lost.



Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity



Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity is a rather amusing video. He captured my attention with his attitude and jokes. I have to agree with most of what he said. I have been a dancer and a baton twirler my entire life. I have no idea where I would be today without the discipline and hard work I had to go through. His story about the woman, who in present day would have been diagnosed with A.D.H.D, was an amazing one to me. Her whole life she thought she was weird and did not belong, but when one person gave her a chance to be herself and show some creativity, she was brilliant. It makes me smile inside and out that she would find something to build her life on that is her passion and an important factor of continuing creativity.
He mentioned the gift of human imagination. For example, there are so many different ways a group of people could look at a plain green wall. One person could look at it and see just a plain green wall, while another person could look at it and think of thirteen different things they could do with the wall. It all depends on how big you think. I think creativity is very important. When I get to be a teacher, I hope I will be able to push creativity as much as possible. You never know what the human brain could think up.



Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts


Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts was a very interesting video to me. I think it is great what Vicki Davis is doing with her students. When she said that people do not have to know everything before they teach it, I was taken back. When she explained later though, I completely understood.
She uses every kind of technology possible in her classroom, which is very rare in a high school classroom. I loved how she was learning as she was teaching her students. As we grow older technology is going to become more and more advanced. We cannot always keep up to date on everything electronic, so her saying she was learning from her students was very realistic to me. If technology is ever growing, then we will soon outgrow what we know. We all need to have this mindset when teaching a class, because keeping technology and all things electronic in the classroom will most likely push a lot more students to succeed.

3 comments:

  1. Meaghan, you did a great job on your reactions. It is clear by reading your post that you understood the complexity of keeping technology alive in the schools and why it is important to do so. I am very glad to hear that you want to make it appoint in your classroom to include technology. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maeghan,

    You made a great comment … When she said that people do not have to know everything before they teach it, I was taken back. When she explained later though, I completely understood …
    Dr. Strange pushes the fact that no one knows it all and that we can help one another learn. Vicki Davis is doing it and so are other future thinking educators. I have learned more from working with Dr. Strange, Anthony, Jamie Lynn and all the students that have come through EDM 310 then I could have learned on my own. It is a brave new world when it comes to the future of education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gaeghan, Thank you for the wonderful comments on my blog. I had so much fun during my time in EDM 310 and I hope you enjoy the class as much as I did. I had learned so much about technology and all the different ways to apply it towards the classroom. I hope that all the future teachers learn about technology and learn about all the different ways of applying it towards the classroom setting and actually do it.

    ReplyDelete