Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blog Post 2

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today


A Vision of Students Today by: Michael Wesch is an eye opening presentation. I loved how it started off with the writing on the walls and the desks. When it moved to the students, it made me think about everything that was written. I had no idea that around 1 billion people in the world make less than $1 a day. That is absolutely crazy to me.
The comments about Facebook are completely true. Facebook has slowly taken over people's lives. A lot of people's entire social network is on Facebook. Communication is very important, but it is healthy to have face to face communication as well as technology communication. I think everyone should be required to watch this video. It makes you realize how most people spend their college career. When you realize the job you are going to get when you graduate does not even exist yet, it makes you wonder how much the world can actually evolve in just 2-4 years. This video has an important message that will continue to open eyes in the future, hopefully.


It's Not About the Technology By: Kelly Hines

I really enjoyed Kelly Hines' post. She made me feel a lot at ease about my future as a teacher. I do think technology is very important in the classroom, but as I've said before, it's impossible to always stay on top of every software and new gadget.
I loved how she mentioned the smart board thing. When I was in middle school, all my teachers had smart boards. Only about 50% actually used them. It IS a waste of money, like she pointed out. Teachers do have to be open to change, because change is all that's coming.


Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?


First thing is first, the quote he wrote in twice really turned some wheels, huh? If a teacher who is technologically illiterate now is equivalent to a teacher who couldn't read and write then, that really makes me want to jump up and learn everything there is to learn about technology. I never want to be classified as technologically illiterate. If you think about it though, I think everyone is.
There is an ever growing market of technology in the world. You can say you know everything about it and then something new comes along. It's an expanding and continuous learning process. Karl Fisch made a lot of good points in this post. I think that when it comes to technology, I completely agree, you need to be open-minded. No one person can know everything. I feel like this pushes me forward to my classroom and camouflages an important trait of patience. A student in a class might know a lot more about a new technology than you do. This is why you can learn alongside your students. It's not wrong! You, like I've agreed before, don't have to know everything to teach it.
Technology in the classroom is forever growing and will be more and more common as the years progress. No one can ignore the impact technology has had on the world. Karl Fisch's blog was very interesting to read and I enjoyed it. I hope a lot more people get a chance to read this in the future.


Gary Hayes Social Media Count


Wow! This is absolutely amazing to me. You never realize how many people are in the world until you look at this (and this is only on the computer)! There are so many people signing up for this and commenting on that. It makes me wonder... How many people could I actually come in contact with online? How many opportunities could arise from me blogging? I have never blogged before this class or used twitter. The only social network I use is Facebook.
These numbers make me excited to be in the technologically savvy world. It makes me excited to see what is in store for this semester and this blog.




3 comments:

  1. I think you make a good point about how many people you could come in contact with online. You could be teaching someone something, and you might not even know it! I know we've talked about balance with technology, but looking at the way things are changing so fast the balance may be harder and harder to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this on Katie Watson's post but it applies to you as well: You have commented on Dr. Wesch and his students' video by addressing what it had to say from a student's point of the view. The video also offered a scathing critique of the way our current educational system operates. You did not comment from that perspective at all. What are your thoughts on what the video had to say, explicitly and implicitly, about teaching and learning?
    I would say that not only should teachers be open to change, they must change. I often think that the public school system is doomed. Not that it will disappear. But is could easily become just a baby sitting service. Education, learning could take place elsewhere. If we do not change rapidly I expect that to happen.

    You make a good point when you suggest that everyone is technologically illiterate if we mean we know everything there is to know about technology and learning. The key point that Mr. Fisch makes, it seems to me, is that all teachers must be willing to learn. I would argue that if you are not a learner you cannot be a teacher. Or should not I guess I should say. And I mean that. We need to get rid of all non learning teachers. Any suggestion on how to do that? Or maybe you want to disagree with my argument. What do you say?

    The world you are entering is an exciting place! As you will find out later in this class we really do mean the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree. We need to get rid of the non learning teachers. Everything is changing so rapidly, especially with technology. If we still have teachers who don't want to learn the new things, then what are their students going to learn? It seems to me they will be left out some. I feel like to get rid of them, we need to make some technology required for teaching so if they don't learn it, they will be gone. I know that sounds a little harsh, but considering the fact that those kids aren't going to learn about technology makes it okay in opinion.

    ReplyDelete