Saturday, June 26, 2010

Blog Post 7

Randy Paush Last Lecture : Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
Randy Paush opened this video like I would have never imagined. His bright attitude towards his life was miraculous. I loved his points in his video. His childhood dreams were obviously a very important factor in his life.
I really liked when he was talking about his second dream (playing in the NFL), and he told a story of his coach. His coach was riding him all day about not doing things right and at the end of the day the assistant coach came up to him and told him it was a good thing because when people stop riding you it means they gave up. That is a lesson, like he said, that makes me realize criticism is a very good thing. Anytime anyone is telling you that you are doing something wrong, just remember, they are trying to help. I think that is something we all need to remember. It all came down to indirect learning or "head fake". He basically said that we don't actually put our kids out there to learn football, we put them out there to learn teamwork, sportsmanship, perseverance, and etc. The best way to teach someone something is to think they are learning something else.
When he started to talk about his course he created at Carnegie Mellon, I was very interested. I loved the fact that he was amazed by his students so much that he had to call up his mentor. I think the advice his mentor gave him was amazing as well. He said,"Go to class tomorrow, and tell them, 'Ya know? That was pretty good you guys, but I know you can do better.'" I think that really sticks with people. The more you push somebody, the more they will be able to accomplish. That gives me a lot of insight on how to encourage people when I'm a teacher. Sometimes that is all a kid needs. This was probably one of my favorite quotes in the video.
This video was very inspiring. It makes me want to lead a better life, not just be a better teacher. All of his points meant something and even though at the end he said the second "head fake" was that it was for his kids, i think this video probably has helped more people than he will ever know. I loved how he had the courage to fulfill all of his dreams. Learning how to do that is very hard, but he made it possible.
He said at the end he can't do anything without having fun. Having fun is an easier way to learn than just throwing it at someone. Having fun is a fun way to learn and that is one of my objectives as a teacher. I loved how he put up the Tigger and Eeyore debate. He said it was obvious where he stood. I think we all should decide if we are going to be Tiggers or Eeyores because those are two very opposite sides of the spectrum. He said that we shouldn't forget the childlike wonder. When you are a child, you dream endlessly. People can't seriously think it is a good idea to bash those dreams. They are children, that is what they do, they dream. Dreaming is creative and helpful in a child's life. Helping others was a major part of this video. Being a teacher is obviously about helping others. Helping others learn is a very important thing in a person's life. Help others in all you do is what he meant. His consistency of mentioning the brick walls of life were inspirational also. Every time you want something, you have to go get it. The brick walls will be there for you to knock down, not give up in front of.
This video was one of my favorites so far. It was very touching and educational. I recommend this video to anyone who reads this post. It was fantastic and uplifting.

2 comments:

  1. This was my favorite video, by far. Not only because it was NOT really about technology, but mostly because I felt like he was talking to me. Like you I was so inspired. I could go on and on about all the great points he makes, but you really did a great job commenting on it. Your post reminded me of something that I had forgotten, probably because it was early in the video. But your conclusion about criticism being a positive thing, makes me a little more open to it. Which considering this blog and comment business Dr. Strange has us doing every week appreciating criticism is pretty much necessary. Thanks for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maeghan,

    I commented on your post last week by accident. I was supposed to do someone else's post. Oh, well. You get me again! I was really inspired by this video also. I like how he used props while speaking. I know it is hard to accept criticism and he makes a great point that anyone who does not care will not even bother. I did not see anything to criticize in your post, though. You did a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete